Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lake Elmo Orienteering

The last meet of the season. Turned out to be a nice day. My first time orienteering at Lake Elmo Regional Park. Feeling rather stiff, I wonder whether this is related to the weather or wether I am simply getting old ...

Drove with Tom and as we arrived I saw a message from Bryan who decided to give it a try and asked to tag a longwith me. Unfortunately it was too late. Ian suggested to make sure that the e-punch was secure enough, I find them too tight anyway. On my approach to the first control I ran into someone who had lost his e-punch. Bummer, $35 gone, plus the aggravation of not being able to finish?

I found the 6.8 km red course easy, not hilly at all, made easier yet by the winter vegetation. Runing across the wide meadows was a bit more difficult because the ground was hard from frost which made bumps treacherous and unforgiving. I felt close to a twisted ankle several times.

At control 13 a tall lanky guy passed me. he was going fast. I met him at the finish. Will did the red in 0:45 compared to my 1:08.

My final result was not so great in the grand scheme: http://www.mnoc.org/results.shtml?date=20081123 and for the route I took: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115892264743207247436.00045cf496cfabdf047a6&t=h&z=15

No comments: