Monday, February 22, 2010

Continued Good Skiing in February!

What an excellent winter we've had this year. A good base with an occasional refresher snowfall, fairly mild temperatures, a willing partner in my dog Mellie and just the right amount of hockey practices in Highland forced me to be out on skis a lot this winter! The best: it's still going on.

A week ago, I dropped of James and Jack at the Hyland Ski Area and decided to take advantage of the trails at the Hyland Park Reserve next door. The snow seemed kind of slow, soft after the recent snowfall and mild weather. what a difference from my usual venues, Highland and Como Parks, it seemed well used if not crowded. I skated every trail and found the varied terrain nice, with just the right amount of challenge. I made the mistake to wear my shades. Needed to stop to retrieve them after clumsily and unsuccessfully trying to stash them in my pockets during a steep downhill. Got into a very nice rhythm during the last mile or so.


View Hyland Park Reserve Skate Skiing in a larger map

This last weekend, I had some of the best and fastest skiing at Como and Highland Parks, yet. Saturday, I did two laps at Como, on a firm and fast skating track. On Sunday, after dropping James and Joe off at Afton Alps, I skijored two laps and skated one lap at Highland. Again, a firm, almost hard surface made for fast skiing under a sunny sky.

No comments: