Saturday, June 12, 2010

Portland, OR Jog from Embassy Suites to Washington Park

God morning for a jog, overcast but cool and dry. Woke up early because of jet lag scouted out a possible route and headed outside. I did not seem to be able to hit Burnside Street, it turned out that the intersection was just a couple of blocks north from where I started while I was heading south.

When I saw the street sign for Jefferson, my planned return route about two blocks ahead, I decided to simply strike out for the hills, abandoning my original route. I started running up Salmon St. and after  a quick dogleg Park Pl. When I saw a group of runners heading towards me, I shouted to them "Is this the way to the arboretum" to which they responded "always straight ahead." I continued uphill. Before long I reached the edge of Washington Park, right by an obelisk.


Looking down Park Ave. from the monument at south end of Washington Park




Uphill from there, some times steeper than others, like these stairs up to Parkview Dr.




Soon leveling off, when I reentered the park to run the Wildwoods Trails. Beautiful!







Back down into the valley, exiting park near Reservoir #4 and Vista Ave Bridge.




Returning along the home stretch, Willamette River, here at Hawthorne Bridge.

No comments: